Thursday, January 6, 2011

The seeds are here!!

An early walk this morning led me to our local Asda; browsing the aisles aimlessly, I saw rows and rows of seeds in all their colourful glory, brightening up an otherwise very dull morning.  I can't wait to get started now. 

Last year I grew some chillies in a pail that came with the seeds; it looked very pretty sitting on the patio and I've thought about getting another one.  What I saw in Asda this morning were tomato seeds, sold with a bright red pail...so I'm wondering if I should get one.  It's a little disappointing that the seeds are boring old cherry tomatoes and I think (after a much too plentiful crop last year!) that I'm quite over cherry tomatoes for now.  I'll no doubt do some cherry tomatoes this year, just not so many of the common or garden tumbling toms.  One intends to be a little more adventurous this year - variety, variety, and more variety!

Some of the varieties I'm interested in are as follows:

Black Russian - Beefsteak; purple to black skin; and reddish black flesh.  They tend to bear irregular sized fruits, but every article I've read about them includes a tribute to how tasty they are!  One of the reasons I'm attracted to Beefsteaks this year is the 'slicing' factor - my larger variety tomatoes of last year didn't slice very well and I wanted something that could stand up to being sliced.  But really, it's the colour that's done it for me - that and the fact that they're different, and it's a challenge!  I'm also assured (by my good friend Chris Rollings) that they are suited to the West Yorkshire climate - his mother has grown them successfully for the last ten years in Hebden Bridge.  I've taken the picture from Mr Fothergill's website. 


Green Zebra - I am reliably informed by Mrs Betty Pitchard, that these are one of the easiest varieties of tomato to grow.  They can get to 2-3 inches and start off green, turning yellow, but maintaining their green stripe - Betty has supplied me with the photograph below.  They have a very sweet and distinctive flavour and look very pretty mixed with red varieties in a salad!  I think I'll definitely be trying these ones, and passing a plant or two to Allen, my father-in-law, to see how he gets on with them.  An important point to note is that they don't go fully yellow, so pick them when they are just turning. 






Last Year's Sungolds were a great success, so I will most likely grow some more of those; although I am tempted to vary the theme if I can - more research on yellow tomatoes at a later date!

No comments:

Post a Comment